Online gaming is no doubt a fun way to divert yourself for a while, and at the same time connect with your family. However, we all know that the moment we access the internet, we become vulnerable to scams, cyber attacks, and other online threats. If you’re not careful, hackers can steal your passwords, credit card details, pictures, and other personal information. Of course, these things shouldn’t scare you off from using the internet and playing your favorite online games. By following these simple tips, you’ll be able to avoid those problems:
- Use a different email for your gaming account. Do not use your personal email address for creating a gaming account. Create a new one that is strictly intended for gaming use only. This will help you protect your real identity online.
- Use strong passwords. Once you’ve created a new email account, create a password that is unique and strong. Make sure that the password is entirely different from any other passwords you use. It doesn’t necessarily have to be that complicated, but at least create something that is not easy to guess. Experts recommend that it should be at least 8 characters long and a mix of upper and lower case letters, as well as numbers and symbols.
- Only login from official gaming website. To protect your online account, make sure to login only from your game’s official website. Never click on any link, even it’s a link from your email. This ensures that you don’t click any phishing link, which is the primary strategy used by cyber criminals to steal your details and money.
- Install effective antivirus software. Make sure that you have effective and updated antivirus software installed in your computer. The best antivirus software tools contain features that can protect you from various online threats, such as spam, virus, malware, and identity theft.
- Only purchase software from reputable source. If you want to use gaming software, such as game recorder for capturing game footage, make sure that you get them only from reputable sources. The thing is that when you buy online, you will be required to enter some personal information, such as your credit card info and your name. So it’s best to only deal with reputable websites and stores to ensure that your personal details are secured.
- Don’t reveal your personal information to other players. If you’re competing with other gamers, do not reveal your real name, location, age, and any other personal information. Sign up with a username that doesn’t reveal your real identity. And as much as possible, only use an avatar for your profile instead of an actual picture of yourself.
- Explain to your children the importance of privacy. If you’re a parent, and you have kids who also love playing online games, tell them to not share any personal information to others. Make them understand how important it is to keep personal information private.
Spending a few hours of playing online games can really be a fun experience, particularly when you’re playing with your family. However, it can be more fun and exciting if you know that you and your family are all protected and safe from threats.
But of course, securing your personal information is just a part of having a wonderful gaming experience. If you want to level up the fun, you should consider investing in a good PC and gaming tools, such as chairs, tables, mouse, headphones, and other gaming accessories. Visit the High Ground Gaming website for the best PC gaming desks, the best PC gaming chairs of 2015, and other recommended equipment for gaming.